More lessons and guided tours, better skiers, happier instructors, more lessons.

Front Page Forums Lessons More lessons and guided tours, better skiers, happier instructors, more lessons.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jonathanNGI
    Participant

Thinking back over several decades, I have the sense that a lot of XC areas had a much higher % of clients taking lessons “back when.” Some places that pushed privates made significant money for both themselves and their instructors (tips!) I think this is repeatable.
    Northfield Mountain in Mass. used to see 15%+ of guests taking lessons; part of that was due to clever, permeating marketing. They had a great retention rate too!
    A couple of thoughts to make instruction more profitable for staff, which can lead to employee longevity, more skier visits, more rental/retail income (all this is symbiotic!), etc.: 1) If you have the snow and terrain, etc., incorporate guided tours into your repertoire (good chance for building individual rapport leading to more lessons/tours…). Check out White Pine Nordic in Park City, UT, which does a fantastic job at this! 2) Businesslike approach by management, recognizing the value of instructor/guide training) to creating/selling a lesson sequence, not simply PSIA certification; 3) Emphasizing the human/personal aspects of hospitality.
    Cross Country Ski Areas Association has a Forum element on their industry website (www.ccsaa.org). I’ll try to get this posted soon. Thanks to all!
    P.S. And mygawd, let’s not just make this stuff informative, let’s make it fun!

ccsaaindustry
    Keymaster

I feel lesson offerings is an area where many ski centers do not devote enough resources to. I would love to hear from any ski areas that believe they do a good job. What are the tips and tricks to be successful and profitable.

ccsaaindustry
    Keymaster

I feel lesson offerings is an area where many ski centers do not devote enough resources to. I would love to hear from any ski areas that believe they do a good job. What are the tips and tricks to be successful and profitable.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.