Front Page Forums Lessons Backcountry Tours on Cross Country Skis

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ccsaaindustry
    Keymaster

There is a CCSAA Member ski area looking for information about runnng backcountry tours on cross country skis? Do you run those and if so, can you share a bit about your format?

• This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by ccsaaindustry.
    • This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by ccsaaindustry.
    Teleboy
    Participant

This topic is near and dear to me. I’ve managed a permit for tours like this, and I’m in the process of applying for a light touring permit here in Wyoming. This is a much ignored/neglected part of the industry, particularly the guiding/instruction aspect. It would be great to get some data on how many participants, skis/boots/bindings sold, lessons taught/tours guided, etc.
    Happy to converse more about this!
    Scotty
    Peak Performance

RHodges
    Participant

We do several dozen backcountry tours mostly on XC skis every season. Guided on permitted areas. Groups from 1-20 (multiple guides, generally 5:1 ratio max) The gear and the tour terrain depend on the skills and interests of the client. We don’t do overnight, but refer to another guide service. We use basic xc gear for most, but have a fleet of BC skis and boots from 90-110 width for the more adventurous.

Teleboy
    Participant

Hi Richard!
    Is your permit area in the Uintas/Mirror Lk Hwy? Anywhere else? Tx! Scotty

ccsaaindustry
    Keymaster

Thanks to you both for your input. I have passed on your contact to the Cross Country Ski Association of Ankorage whow was asking. Expect to hear from them.

RHodges
    Participant

Hey Scotty,

We have 12 different permit areas. most USFS, three state park lands and a private landholder. Its a mix. We use USFS most, but depending on conditions and the client skill we have the other options. Sometimes people just want someone to ski with.

Richard

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.